COMEDY WRITING LEVEL 1
Prereq.: No Experience Necessary
Curious about comedy writing? Study and learn about the different types of sketch comedy scenes, the basics of joke-telling, as well as brainstorming comedy ideas and how to use story-structure. Class will require a medium to light amount of homework each week, while giving students insights on how and why audiences laugh at sketch comedy. Class will also include a peek into comedy pilot writing techniques. Join veteran Hollywood writer Rich Talarico as he shares techniques from his 20+ years in late night TV (SNL, MADtv, Key & Peele, The Tonight Show) and from having written five resident company sketch comedy revues for Second City in Chicago.
COMEDY WRITING LEVEL 2
Prereq.: Comedy Writing Level 1
Completed the Comedy Writing Level 1? Join the writers’ room! Intermediate students will receive weekly writing assignments with deadlines and feedback on material. Class is led by comedy veteran Rich Talarico who shares techniques from his 20+ years in late night TV (SNL, MADtv, Key & Peele, The Tonight Show) and from having written five resident company shows for Second City in Chicago. This class will include some review from Level 1 as students will learn how to write late night monologue jokes and desk pieces, how to write blackouts, how to brainstorm and pitch ideas and how to outline a scene/story-structure and how to come up with solid endings. The group will also learn how to support others’ ideas, a key writers’ room skill. Students will finish the session with the beginnings of a solid sketch comedy portfolio/packet and a live showcase read-thru for friends and family.
Dates: RETURNING SOON!
- Unless otherwise noted all courses cost $265 total and consist of eight, three-hour classes that meet weekly.
- Tuition is non-refundable. All sales are final.
- Missing more than two classes means you may be asked to repeat the Level. Students are encouraged to attend class on another night to gain the knowledge and skills missed, but doing so is for the student’s benefit and does not excuse the absence.
- Level 1 is required unless you have recently graduated from a formal training program; if you have questions please email the training center
- Third Coast is a safe, creative, and collaborative environment; any behavior to the contrary will be dealt with immediately; if you need to make a report use our Anonymous Reporting Form here.
- Teachers are subject to change without notice.
If you have any questions please email the training center for more information.